A Lesson on Oil Rig Entry-level Jobs
It should be noted that certain of the oil rig workers have specialized tasks and functions, possibly earning as much as 0,000 to 0,000 per year working in hazardous areas and doing a lot of hours (80 + hours per week is quite common on oil rigs).
Whatever your dream may be, realize you'll have to make a concerted effort.
That's right, you'll have to earn the right to collect - so if you feel you can survive the hardships & have the right qualities, go for it. Just remember that if you choose to work one of the offshore oil rig jobs, there will be the added challenge of living where you work .
Entry Level Oil Rig Jobs
If you are still here, and haven't been scared off great! This means you represent a small percent of the population who's not daunted by the fatigue factor, nor afraid to get your hands dirty.. You are in luck, because today I am going to share with you entry-level oil rig job positions you can look into:
Getting your foot in the door is the most important thing – you can contemplate career advancement later on. After all, you won’t won't have an opportunity to advance your career in the oil and gas industry if you don’t get started! So, grit your teeth and be ready for a challenging situation - here we go:
1. Floorhand – Though not exactly one of the most prestigious jobs on an oil rig, floorhands are still important members of the network because they fill the functions that other employees simply do not have time for. A floorhand performs manual tasks, such as cleaning, repairs, and maintenance onboard the oil rig. Many people see this position as a bit disappointing, but you have to realize that if you are able to step onto an oil rig as a floorhand, you can work hard to get a much better position later on by getting the right certification, licenses, and training.
2. Welder – An oil rig welder needs to be familiar with how an oil rig works in the first place, so related experience will be a plus in the event that you want to apply as a rig welder. These folks can earn up to forty thousand dollars per year, which is not bad at all considering that you will get allowances and free boarding while you are at the oil rig.
3. Steward – If you're fine with being a cook and cleaning up in the kitchen area, the steward position just might be a good idea. Note that stewards are under the main cooks of the oil rig, so you have to work hard to perform your duties, because a higher authority will be supervising your work. A job in the kitchen might not sound like much, especially when the kitchen is on an oil rig, but trust me, the kitchen is just as important as every part of the network and, when it fails, that is a genuine catastrophe for oil rig workers who expect to get regular meals because their work is very physically demanding.
These are example of some of the jobs - you can LEARN more on the pages about Texas Oil Rig Jobs and North Dakota Oil rig jobs .
Oil Rig Entry Level Jobs - A Compendium of Information
Offshore Rig Pay
Galley hands - Generally this job is contracted out, thus their pay is determined by the outfit they work for.
Roustabout/Roughneck - pay ranges from - per hour
Derrickman - average pay is between - per hour
Driller - A range from - per hour
These pay rates are based on 40 hours of straight time. Once that is reached, it is overtime pay - paid at time and a half (based on 7 twelve hour days a week)
Note: Most of the hitch rotations are either 14 or 21 day hitches - so workers do a 14 or 21 day stretch, then they're at home 14 or 21 days. However, the drilling rig jobs overseas usually do 28 day hitches. For example, a bell diver who works for a commercial oil company can score a big paycheck, but must be prepared and able to work for 28 days straight.
All other positions are salary based rather than hourly pay.
Oil Rig Jobs: Equipment and NecessitiesLife Offshore:
- You'll be issued a hard hat, coveralls, safety boots and safety glasses
- Maintain a good attitude - be sure to stay focused as to why you chose to work offshore.
- Meals: You remove your gear and dine in the galley.
- Remember to never upset the chef, medic, or radio operator - You may need them
- From time to time, you'll be expected to work a night shift since an oil rig is a 24 hour operation.
- For smokers, safety matches are supplied - go to the designated smoking rooms
If you still have an interest in oil rig entry level jobs, know one thing – you'll have to get your safety certificate and pass a drug test to be considered.
Ready to get started?